Temporary Graduate Skilled Visa (Subclass 485)

This graduate visa (subclass 485) is for international students who have recently graduated from an Australian educational institution. It lets you stay in Australia temporarily after you have finished your studies to gain work experience.

Requirements for Graduate Skilled Visa (Subclass 485)
  • you must be younger than 50 years of age
  • you must hold an eligible visa
  • you must have included in your application evidence that you have met the English language requirement
  • you must meet the Australian study requirement in the last six months
  • you must meet health and character requirements.
  • you must have health insurance in Australia
  • you must meet the specific requirements of the stream in which you are applying for this visa.

Graduate Work Stream

For international students with an eligible qualification who graduate with skills and qualifications that relate to an occupation on the list of eligible skilled occupations. A visa in this stream is granted for 18 months from the date of grant.

This visa is valid for 18 months from the date it is granted.

Post-Study Work Stream

For international students who graduate with a higher education degree from an Australian education provider, regardless of their field of study. This stream is only available to students who applied for, and were granted, their first student visa to Australia on or after 5 November 2011. A visa in this stream can be granted for up to four years from the date the visa is granted, depending on the visa applicant’s qualification.

This visa lasts for two to four years, depending on the highest qualification you used to apply for this visa:

  • Bachelor Degree, Bachelor Degree with Honours, Masters by Coursework Degree or Masters (extended) Degree – your visa is valid for two years
  • Masters by Research Degree– your visa is valid for three years
  • Doctoral Degree – your visa is valid for four years.

Visa Charges

Nomination and Visa Charges can be found here.

There are several other skilled visas available: