Employer Sponsored

Everything you need to know about your Australian 457 Work Visa

13 Jun 2016 / Inna Feldmann

Share on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedIn

Everything you need to know about your Australian 457 Work Visa

Want create site? Find Free WordPress Themes and plugins.

The Temporary Work (Skilled) Visa (subclass 457) is commonly known as the “457 visa”. This visa is the most popular temporary work visa for Australia and you are able to apply if you are sponsored to work by an Australian company. Applying for this visa can sometimes feel quite overwhelming, which is why we are giving you a simple checklist of where to start.

So what benefits do you get from the 457 visa?

The 457 visa allows you (and your family or partner) to do the following things while living in Australia:
  • Live and work in Australia for up to 4 years
  • Work for your sponsored company for up to 4 years
  • Travel in and out of Australia unlimited times during the 4 year period
  • Study in Australia for the duration of the visa. Be sure to check the study conditions with your chosen University.
  • Bring any eligible dependents with you to Australia who can also work and study during this time
  • Note that you (and your family) must have your own private health insurance while living in Australia

What are the stages involved in the 457 Visa Application?

There are three stages involved in the visa application – all of which we are able to assist with if necessary:
  1. Sponsorship Firstly, the company you wish to work for has to apply to be an Approved Business Sponsor.
  2. Nomination This is when your Approved Business Sponsor nominates a position for your sponsorship.
  3. Visa Application This is the final stage when you apply for the 457 visa in order to work within the nominated position.

Is your occupation suitable for sponsorship?

It’s important that you do your research by checking if your occupation is suitable for the 457 visa. Only occupations that come under the Skilled Occupation List and ‘Consolidated Skilled Occupation List’ can be nominated.

If you are confused about your occupation, please get in touch with a qualified Migration Agent.

What documents do you need to apply?

This is the most time consuming and often confusing stage when applying for a 457 visa. If you fail to provide all the necessary documents and answer all the questions on the application form fully, you may get your application refused.

It’s important to note that the process is different for each profession, which is why it is always useful to double check with a Migration Lawyer before submitting your documents.

We have included a guide below for the documents you will need for your application, however a more detailed checklist can be found on the Australian Government website.

  • English exam results. The IELTS is preferred in Australia, however the Cambridge CAE, PTE, OET or TOEFL tests are also accepted. You do not need to do the English exam if you have a UK, Ireland, USA, Canada or New Zealand passport or have formally studied English for 5 years in a row.
  • Reference letters
  • Your CV / resume
  • Personal documents such as passport and certificates*
  • Proof of health insurance
  • Medical examination (in some cases).

*Please note that any documents in a different language from English must be translated by a NAATI accredited translator.

Do you still have some questions?

If you have any questions about your occupation, documents or are needing some help with the application process please get in touch with our qualified Migration Agents. We are all experts in migration law and have helped thousands of people with their 457 visa application.

Feel free to message us through the website or call us on 1300 698 472 to arrange a meeting.

Did you find apk for android? You can find new Free Android Games and apps.
Picture of Test Member 2

Inna Feldmann

National Operations Manager

    Let Us Help You Get Your Visa Today!